Image from page 59 of “History of St. Paul and vicinity : a chronicle of progress and a narrative account of the industries, institutions, and people of the city and its tributary territory” (1912) – more St Croix goodness curated by www.SardineRunPE.co.za
Image by Internet Archive Book Images
Title: History of St. Paul and vicinity : a chronicle of progress and a narrative account of the industries, institutions, and people of the city and its tributary territory
Year: 1912 (1910s)
Authors: Castle, Henry A. (Henry Anson), 1841-1916
Subjects: Saint Paul (Minn.) — History Saint Paul (Minn.) — Biography
Publisher: Chicago : Lewis Pub. Co.
Contributing Library: New York Public Library
Digitizing Sponsor: MSN
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
Falls of St. Anthony, and ina document drawn up at his fort in May, 1689, the Man-tan-ton Sioux 14 ST. PAUL AND ^■ICIXIT^• were said to be living on the banks of the St. Pierre, and farther up tothe northwest of the Mississippi were the Meddaywahkantwan andSissetoan Sioux. The first mention of the Minnesota, as the St. Pierre river, occurs inthe document referred to, and it is probable that it was suggested by thebai)tisnial name of Le Sueur. The trading post near the mouth of theWisconsin was called, in compliment to Nicholas Perrot. Fort St. Nich-olas; the St. Croix was named after a Frenchman, and the Minnesotariver would ajjpropriately be called St. Pierre, as the Assineboine wassubsequently named St. Charles, in allusion to the Christian name ofBeauharnois. governor of Canada. Upon Prairie Island, above Red Wing and about nine miles belowthe mouth of the St. Croix river, Le Sueur, in i6g5, had built anothertrading post, and in 1700 he erected an establishment near the Mankato
Text Appearing After Image:
FALLS OF ST. .\NTIIOXY or Blue Earth river, a tributary of the Minnesota. In 1703 trade ceasedwith the Indians on account of their hostility, but it was resumed in 1727by erecting Fort lieauharnois on the banks of Lake Pei)in, oppositeMaidens Rock, near the ])oint now called Frontenac. Among the last commanders of this post were Iierre Paul .Marin andLegardeur Uc Saint Pierre. When the difficulties between l-.ngland andFrance led to war among the colonists of North .America, Marin was re-called from the Sioux country and sent with a force of French and In-dians to build a stockade upon French creek, in the northwest part ofPennsylvania, where on the 29th of October, 1753, he died, and a fewdays later Saint Pierre, who had just arrived frt)m west of Lake Superior,was ai)poiiUed his successor. .Mthough there was no longer any regular brench trading establish-ment in the valley of the Upper Mississii)pi there were irregular un-licensed traders roaming among the Sioux not far from the sit
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.